Reasons to Love Italian Football

Alessandro Del Piero - that's it. What do you mean that's not enough? Ok, fine. Maldini, Totti (the most aptly named footballer ever), Cannavaro....need I go on. Ok, so none of these are actually the reason I fell  in love with Italian football, but they sure help.


I fell in love with Italian football, or more specifically Roberto Baggio, during Italia 90. I was 7 years old and decided I was going to marry Baggio, not because of his looks (I was far less shallow at 7 than I am now) but because of his amazing goal against Czechoslovakia.

The summer I fell in love was the summer that Baggio completed his controversial move to  Juventus, and so my love affair with Juve was born. Supporting Juve seemed easy; the 90s and early 00s was full of success and big name signings. Footballing greats such as Zidane, Inzaghi, Nedved, and Buffon all contributing to Juve being one of the best teams in the world.

Until it seemingly all fell apart in 2006. This was the point when Del Piero and Nedved proved just how much they had deserved my love over the years. During Euro '96 our den was even named 'The Ned' in tribute to the great Pavel Nedved (and because we thought we were kind of cool).  They didn't need to stay; could quite easily have bailed like most of the others, but they didn't. They stayed and vowed to bring Juve back to top flight where they belonged.

There's some way to go to recapture the brilliance and quality of the mid to late 90s, but they'll get there, and Del Piero will probably still be top goalscorer.

1 Response to "Reasons to Love Italian Football"

  1. Anonymous says:

    Nedved was awesome

Post a Comment

powered by Blogger | WordPress by Newwpthemes | Converted by BloggerTheme